This walking holiday to the wild north of Albania is probably one of the last great European adventures.
You’ll discover the remote of Valbona Valley National park and Theth National Park and meet people who live in a world which is refreshingly disconnected from the rest of Europe.
The Accursed Mountains are spectacular, unspoiled and virtually impenetrable, except for a series of high passes that link the few farmsteads of the exceptionally friendly Albanian Highlanders to the outside world.
This is a truly special European trekking adventure, ideal for the discerning traveler and those seeing a destination that is refreshingly different. A 8 days adventure combining trekking and local living experience that’s why accommodation usually takes place in the homes of the Albanian highlanders, the “Malësorë”, located in small, picturesque villages surrounded by imposing mountains or family-run hotels. This tour is becoming our best seller for 2019. You can enjoy this beautiful scenic walk in the Accursed Mountains either as a private tour, solo or with your friends and family.
Day 1 – Arrival in Tirana Airport-Transfer to Shkodra
- On arrival at Tirana, meet at the airport for your transfer to Shkodër, the oldest and largest city in northern Albania. Visit the ruins of Rozafa Castle, which is perched strategically on top of a hill just outside of Shkodër. Late afternoon will be spent exploring the town on foot.
Day 2 – Lake Koman & trek through Valbona
- Take the ferry boat service from Fierza for a stunning journey across Lake Koman, surrounded by steep-sided mountains. Afternoon walk through woods to the meadows of Grykat e Hapta and enjoy the stunning views of Valbona’s jagged peaks.
Day 3 – Trek across the eastern Albanian Alps
- A dramatic hike across the eastern Albanian Alps. Follow the sheep trails from Valbona to Kukaj (1,150 metres), and an optional walk up to the border of Montenegro (2,000 metres).
Day 4 – Trek to Thethi across Valbona Pass
- Walk a dramatic trail over the Valbona Pass (1,840 metres) for fantastic views of the Radohima Mountains and, once again, impressive views of Jezerce massive. Descend across the steeply angled scree slopes to the meadows and beech forests to Thethi (800 metres).
Day 5 – Trek the Accursed Mountains to Peja Pass
- Remain in the Theth National Park and follow a trail to make the challenging ascent to the Peja Pass (1,730 metres), beneath the striking Mount Arapit. From the pass there are fine views across the entire Thethi valley, as well as to the peaks that lie within Montenegro. Descend back to Thethi.
Day 6 – Trek to Nderlysa & visit the Blood Feud Tower
- Trek to the hamlet of Nderlysa (550 metres) and visit the Blood Feud Tower. Comtinue to the waterfall at Thethi and follow the trail along the River Shala to reach our destination – Nderlysa.
Day 7 – Diagonal Pass & Thore Pass; afternoon drive to Tirana
- Today starts with a long steady ascent to the stunning Diagonal Pass and then a hike to Thore Pass. In the afternoon drive to Tirana, one of the most dynamic cities in the Balkans, and enjoy a celebratory meal in a traditional restaurant.
Day 8 – Departure Day
- Depart Tirana at your leisure for your flight back home.