We have designed this trip inspired by our past guest visiting Albania in searching for local experiences, outdoor activities and followed by a week relaxing by the beach at the Ionian Sea. In the first week we will organize hiking trips in the northern part of Albani, at Theth National Park and Valbona Valley National Park guided by an English speaking mountain guide native of this area. Hiking trails are carefully selected to enjoy the mountain experience at an easy pace. Accommodation will take place at mountain guesthouses and we will include visits to local restaurants and families where you can enjoy the delicious Albanian cuisine. In the second week we’ll transfer south at the Albanian Riviera where you can enjoy your leisure time at a seaside hotel on your own, with options for day trips.
- Accommodation at seaside boutique hotels and guesthouses in the north. Breakfasts included.
- all transport and transfers by comfortable A/C vehicle.
- English speaking driver/guide as mentioned on the itinerary.
- Local taxes and fees.
Welcome dinner at the historical town
• Meet our representative at the Tirana International Airport & transfer to northern city Shkodra.
• Check-in at the hotel & take a walk at the oldest pedestrian street of the town.
• Welcome dinner at a traditional restaurant.
Shkodra is the northern biggest city of Albania and is one of the oldest settlements of the Balkans. Its castle dates back to 9th C.BC. Surrounded by the high Albanian Alps, Shkodra Lake and 3 rivers (Kir, Drin, and Buna) Shkodra is blessed by nature. It has inherited a great ottoman and Venetian architecture that attract visitors. While walking through narrow pedestrian streets you will find shops, restaurants, artisans, villas and beautiful gardens.
A journey to the mountains
• Drive north along the Shkodra Lake and up to the Alps.
• Take a short stop at Thore Pass to enjoy the view of the massive mountains and deep valleys.
• Continue off-road down to Theth Village.
Theth is a small village in the Shala Valley of the Albanian Alps. Not only for its insane natural beauty but Theth is also known for its cultural heritage. This particular village has attracted adventurous travelers and journalists since the 18th century (Edith Durham, Johan Georg Fon Hahn, etc.) who have observed and wrote about the ‘Kanun’ (blood feud).
Hike to the natural wonders
• Enjoy the breakfast at the alpine guesthouse
• Hike to Blue Eye and Grunas Waterfall (moderate, 4 hours walking)
• Visit the Lock Tower, learn about the blood feud and the heritage of the valley.
Today’s hike is a moderate difficulty, appropriate for young children. The trail will be guided by an English speaking guide who’s happy to take visitors to the very best spots of his homeland and tell stories and legends of the old times where ‘Kanun’ ruled folks lives.
Hike the Valbona Pass
• Take the trail to Valbona after breakfast.
• Start at 750m and hike for 6.5km upward at the Valbona Pass at 1800m.
• Hike downwards for 5 km at 1000m alt. where our driver will take you to the guesthouse.
The trek from Theth to Valbona goes on the trail that connects these 2 villages since ancient times. The difficulty level is moderate, appropriate for fit people. Luggage will be transported by horse but in the case of non-hiking experienced children, we can arrange another horse you may need. The trail goes partially under the forest shadows, there are 3-4 natural springs you may fill your water tanks and our guide will suggest you spots to rest and admire the view.
Explore the shepherd’s village
• Enjoy breakfast at the guesthouse garden & start at your leisure.
• Drive off-road for approx. 20 km to alpine Cerem village.
• Explore the village at easy pace hike & eat traditional lunch at a shepherd hut.
• Drive back to Valbona
Today’s activity will take you to an almost abandoned village that will remind you of the cartoons of our childhood. Cerem is inhabited only by shepherds during summer. The endless pastoral plateaus are filled with flowers and butterflies and the view of the Accursed Mountains dominates the tranquil horizon. The shepherd family will welcome us at their hut and prepare lunch with local products.
A fairy tale journey through the lake
• Start late in the morning from Valbona and drive to Komani Lake.
• Take a 3 hours boat journey through one of the most beautiful valleys of the Balkans.
• Continue the drive for approx. 1 hour to Mrizi I Zanave farm.
Koman Lake is an artificial lake formed by the hydropower dam built in 1979 by the communist regime. It is built in the valley of the longest river in Albania, Drin River. The boat journey takes 3 hours through the very steep mountains and the only that you see is nature, vegetation, and some small farms completely disconnected by the outside world making it an amazing experience. Mrizi I Zanave is an agricultural farm known for its Mediterranean ambience, vineyards, fruit plantations, cheese and meat factory, restaurant, and guesthouse.
A journey from north to south
• Enjoy the breakfast at the farm and leave at your leisure for the south.
• Continue the drive for 275 km from north Albania to the south(approx 4.5 hours drive)
• Stop for lunch at Vlore, drive via the scenic road of Llogara National Park to Himara.
Today’s drive will take you from Lezha district in the north to Himara in the south via national highway crossing almost all the western lowlands of our country. You will pass by most important cities, empty fields and olive tree hills to end up at the beautiful Albanian Riviera.
Family holidays by the beach
• Accommodation will take place at a seaside villa/resort near Himara town. The hotel is equipped with a pool and is a short walking distance to the beach. You can enjoy sunbathing, cocktails at the bar, food at the hotel restaurant, evening promenade in the city center with your family.
• At your request, we can arrange day trips to the very best places in the region(scuba diving, kayaking, boat trips, fishing, cultural visits, cooking activities to local families, off-road drives, iso-polyphony ) Contact us to tailor your holidays!
Farewell and departure
Meet our representative at the hotel and transfer to Tirana International Airport or elsewhere for your departure back home.